Martin has a family farming background in mohair, wool, beef and dairy. He has a natural focus on risk transfer within the agricultural value chain - from farm to finished product with a special interest in the ‘Food, Fibre and Beverage’ sector.
He has significant product & portfolio management insurance experience in property and casualty lines in the Technical Division of a global insurer. He co-founded a specialist agricultural underwriting agency and a former public not-for-profit company (discretionary mutual fund) in Australia. He also has significant experience as a property investment banker (Nedcor Investment Bank, Cape Town) with a keen interest in property development and the construction sector.
Martin has held delegated claims and underwriting authority from global reinsurers, primary insurers and has some exposure to claims dispute and arbitration matters.
- Represented Allianz on the Insurance Council of Australia’s ‘Rural Affairs Working Committee’.
- Member of Statistics Committee of the industry’s Crop Insurance Services Pty Ltd (as product manager for Allianz)
Areas of expertise:
- Construction companies, Property Developers, Property Investment Companies
- Asset Management Companies (Real Estate), Listed Property Trusts
- Agricultural Primary Production Industry, Asset Management Companies & Super Funds
- Agricultural value chain enterprises (Food, Fibre & Beveridge)
- NIBA member (National Insurance Brokers Association)
- ANZIIF (Australia New Zealand Institute of Insurance & Finance)
- RMIA (Risk Management Institute of Australia)
Outside of Omnisure, Martin is passionate about livestock farming and all things ‘bush’ (which take him back to his roots). He grew up on cattle, sheep and dairy farms in South Africa. He is married to wife Robyn who works in Sydney as a physiotherapist. They have two sons who have now left home.
Martin Birch, Authorised Representative No. 001292837 is an Authorised Representative of Multi Secure Insurance Solutions Pty Ltd T/As Omnisure Registered in Australia. ABN No. 91 089 399 593 and AFS No 22 77 24